Vote By Mail is a safe and secure way for voters to complete their ballots in the privacy of their own homes. To receive a ballot through the mail, registered voters must first complete and submit a Vote By Mail Application.
SUBMITTING A VOTE BY MAIL APPLICATION:
The Illinois Election Code determines the period when registered voters may submit Vote By Mail Applications. Vote By Mail Applications are available 90 days prior to Election Day.
- Online with The Winnebago County Clerk: This is the easiest and fastest way to apply directly with the Winnebago County Clerk’s Office. Click below to check your voter registration status first. If you ARE registered to vote, you can then click on Vote By Mail Ballot Request. If you ARE NOT registered to vote, the link below will direct you to the Illinois State Board of Elections website where you can either register or update an existing registration.
WINNEBAGO COUNTY VOTE BY MAIL APPLICATION
Online (Illinois State Board of Elections): Applications also are available online at elections.il.gov/electionoperations/VotingByMail.aspx.
U.S. Mail: Send your completed Vote By Mail Application to The Winnebago County Clerk’s Office, Attn. Elections, 404 ELm St. Room 101, Rockford IL 61101.
Download/Print: You can download and print a copy of the Winnebago County Clerk’s Vote By Mail Application by clicking on the link below.
PRINTABLE PERMANENT VOTE BY MAIL APPLICATION
PRINTABLE SINGLE ELECTION VOTE BY MAIL APPLICATION
Note: Registered voters who choose NOT to be on the Permanent Vote By Mail List MUST submit a Vote By Mail Application for each election as applications are only valid for that specific election.
NEW: PERMANENT VOTE BY MAIL
Beginning in 2022, Illinois law allows registered voters to place themselves on a Permanent Vote By Mail List. You can do this by completing the paper copy of the Permanent Vote By Mail Application. If you select this option, you must choose the types of elections for which you automatically will receive a Vote By Mail Ballot. Please read the application instructions carefully.
- Political Party/Primary Ballots: You must designate a political party to receive your chosen ballot for Primary Elections. You may choose not to receive ballots for Primary Elections that involve political party designations.
- Removal From The List: You can choose to remove yourself from the Permanent Vote By Mail List by notifying the Winnebago County Clerk’s Office in writing. You will be removed from the list if you move outside of Winnebago County or if your status as a registered voter changes for another reason. Please notify the Winnebago County Clerk’s Office about any change in your voter registration status.
WAYS TO RECEIVE AN APPLICATION
- Call Us at (815) 319-4252: The Winnebago County Clerk’s Office will send you an application by mail or email.
- US. Mail: Send a request for a Vote By Mail Application to The Winnebago County Clerk’s Office, 404 Elm St. Room 101, Rockford IL 61101. We’ll send you one immediately.
- Visit Our Office: Request an application in person at The Winnebago County Clerk’s Office, 404 Elm St. Room 101, Rockford IL 61101. You can drop off your completed application in person as well.
- Campaigns/Political Parties: Candidates, their representatives, or political organizations may provide you with blank applications. These third parties also may offer to submit your completed application to the Winnebago County Clerk’s Office.
IMPORTANT – The candidate or organization cannot complete an application on a voter’s behalf without the voter’s knowledge or participation.
IMPORTANT – A third party cannot request an application and fill it out on behalf of a registered voter.
RECEIVING AND RETURNING YOUR BALLOT
- The Winebago County Clerk’s Office begins mailing Vote By Mail Ballots 40 days prior to Election Day
- Postage: Vote By Mail Ballots will arrive with a preaddressed return envelope and will require one (1) first class stamp. Follow the instructions carefully and simply place it in the mail so that it arrives by Election Day.
- Ballots must be completed and returned to the Winnebago County Clerk’s Office no later than 7 p.m. on Election Day.
- Ballots received at the Winnebago County Clerk’s Office after Election Day must be postmarked by Election Day. These ballots will be tabulated no later than the Provisional Count, scheduled for the second Tuesday after Election Day.
VOTE BY MAIL DROP BOX
You may also deposit your sealed Vote By Mail Ballot Envelope in the secure Drop Box located in front of the Winnebago County Administration Building, 404 Elm St., Rockford IL 61101. Ballot Envelopes are collected daily and returned to the Winnebago County Clerk’s Office for processing during the Vote By Mail period.